eConsult How does it work?
You can search for information about your condition and will be provided with self-help and pharmacy advice. Should you wish to get further advice from us, you will be given the opportunity to start an online consultation. Simply complete the online questionnaire and it will be sent securely to us at St Catherine’s Surgery. We will review your response and aim to get back to you within one working day with either treatment advice, telephone consultation or a booked appointment once your report has been reviewed by one of our clinicians.
Why are we changing things?
During the coronavirus pandemic, our clinicians are doing a lot of clinical triage by telephone. We know that our patients often struggle to get through to us on the telephone during our busy periods. We are confident that our new eConsult system will be much faster for our patients to seek medical advice than telephoning us.
How does it help improve our efficiency?
If we have as much information up front about your condition, we can best manage your problem by utilising our staff most efficiently and in the quickest possible time. Even if your online consultation resulted in a telephone or face to face appointment, because the clinician has all the questions and answers submitted from your online consultation, the subsequent appointment will be much more efficient as we don’t have to ask all the questions again.
The system is on 24/7, so you can submit an online consultation anytime and better still, you don’t have to pick up the phone and wait!
- Patients may not need a trip to the surgery and their query may be resolved with a phone call
- Medical advice is available 24/7 even when the practice is closed – Patients can check their health symptoms online and receive on the spot medical advice and treatment guidance thanks to NHS content
- Patients will get a response from their own NHS GP practice by the end of the next working day or sooner
- Access wherever and whenever patients want from any device. Unlike a telephone call patients can complete an eConsult at a pace that suits them.
What are the eConsults top tips for patients?
- Please try to give as much information as possible and answer the template in full.
- Select the most appropriate template for your query-otherwise you will be asked questions that may not apply to you.
- Please try to avoid using the ‘general advice template’ unless there is not another suitable template for you.
- If you have a rash or skin condition, please attach a photo to the eConsult when you submit it, as often this means we can manage your condition without having to bring you in to the surgery.